Pay Options & Billing Assistance

Billing Facebook Preview

​Pay Options​

​Automatic Bill Pay

The most convenient way to pay with the CBPU! 

Accounts on Autopay
  • Receive a regular monthly billing statement showing the amount due, the due date, and monthly utility usage.
  • Have their monthly payment withdrawn from their checking or savings account on the due date of the bill, eliminating the worry of being late and remembering different websites and passwords to make a payment.
  • Pay on time, in a recurring manner, making life a little easier to balance. 
Take advantage of Automatic Bill Pay today by signing up ---> Here.

Pay in Person

We are located at 1 Grand Street in the Henry L. Brown Municipal Building - just north of the intersection of Chicago Street and Marshall Street in the center of the City of Coldwater. 

Equal Payment Plan

The equal payment program shall be available to eligible automatic bill pay customers when a history of usage and payments, for any service location, has been established. All arrears on accounts must be current at the time of the agreement. The budget plan shall be reviewed periodically but at least annually. Adjustments to budget payments may be made as deemed necessary.

Online Bill Pay

Make payments with your credit or debit card from the comfort of your home. Payments options are available at the Online Payment Center. Here are some important things to remember:

  • If possible, please use a checking/routing number to pay through PSN.
  • Only residential customers and small business accounts are allowed to pay through PSN using a credit card.
  • Autopay is the easiest way to pay your utility bill hassle-free without any fees.
If you cannot pay on the due date of their bill through autopay and still prefer to pay online, ask your bank if they have a money-transfer program in place for the payment of utility bills.

​Billing Assistance

COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA)

The COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) program is a new program providing rent and utility assistance to households experiencing financial hardships due to COVID-19. The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA), which is administering this program, began accepting applications on March 15, 2021.

The program provides up to 12 months of past-due rental assistance, three months of prospective rent, and past-due residential utility services, including electric, gas, water, sewer, and garbage services. Applicants may also have access to a $300 internet stipend if qualified.

Who is Eligible?

Those eligible to apply include tenants who rent their home and meet the following conditions:

  • Tenants whose 2020 household income did not exceed 80% of the area’s median income
  • Households where at least one individual has qualified for unemployment benefits or has experienced a reduction in household income
  • Households where at least one individual has experienced financial hardship due directly or indirectly to the coronavirus outbreak
  • Households with at least one member who is uncertain of where they will stay or may become homeless without housing assistance

Can I Get Help with My Utilities?

Yes, eligible households for CERA can receive utility assistance for tenant-supplied electricity, home heating (any type of fuel), water, sewer, and trash (if billed along with another utility).

Utility Assistance

Household Sizes Maximum Total One Time Utility Payment Maximum Future Utility Payment as a Credit
1-2 Persons $1,500 $300
3-4 Persons $2,000 $500
5+ Persons $2,500 $500

How Do I Apply?

To apply for the program, and to learn more, visit the MSHDA website.


Michigan 211

Call 2-1-1 or click on to learn about agencies in your county that may assist with your energy bill.

Home Energy Assistance 

  • Be Proactive - Contact us as soon as you know you will be unable to pay your bill on time so that we can assist you with payment arrangements or resources to other agencies that are providing financial assistance at this time..
  • State Emergency Relief (SER) may help low-income households pay part of their heating or electric bills, assist in keeping utilities in service, or have service restored. The program is available year-round. Call your local Department of Health and Human Services office for information or apply on MI Bridges. Households must apply for SER assistance prior to receiving any Michigan Energy Assistance Program services.
  • The Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) works with households to provide supplemental bill payment assistance and self-sufficiency services to low-income residents statewide. At the time of SER application, applicants will be able to choose a MEAP provider to work with. A list of organizations that deliver MEAP services can be found on the MPSC’s website. MEAP grantees are all community partners with MDHHS and can help applicants to navigate the MDHHS application process.
  • Connect with an MDHHS community partner to help work through the process of applying for assistance.
  • Home Heating Credit qualified persons may receive a credit to help pay winter heating bills. Apply for a Home Heating Credit if you are low-income or receive public assistance or unemployment compensation. Eligible customers must meet guidelines based on household income, exemptions and heating costs. You must apply by Sept. 30 each year. The application form (MI-1040CR-7) can be requested from the Michigan Department of Treasury at 517-636-4486, or visit website at