Efficiency Tips During the Summer Heat
Summer heat can be brutal, but your electricity bill doesn’t have to make you sweat! These simple tips can lower your electricity bill and save money on your electric bill with minimal effort.
- Keeping your thermostat at a constant temperature may seem like a great idea, but raising and lowering the temperatures can save you money. If you aren’t home during the day, turn it up. If you sleep better when it’s cooler, turn it down. Adjusting the temperature to fit your schedule will ensure you get the most out of your unit, enjoy the cool air when you need it most, and ultimately lower your electricity bill.
- Although fans don’t cool the air around them, they do circulate air. This breeze can make a room feel much cooler. You will also find that the AC unit doesn’t need to run as cool with fans blowing. Placing fans on opposite sides of a room creates a tunnel effect that will distribute the air even better.
- Changing your furnace filters will help your unit run more efficiently, giving you more cool air while lowering the cost of your electricity bill. Switch out your filters monthly to avoid clogging.
- Keeping your drapes closed during the day can reduce the heat through your windows by up to 30%. If you have windows facing the sun during the day, potted trees or large shrubs can also help block the sun.
- If there are gaps around the doors and windows of your home, you’re unintentionally letting warm air inside. Check your weather-stripping, and ensure it’s not worn out and is properly in place. Use caulk to seal it off when you find gaps where air can get in.
Implementing these tips into your home will immediately lessen your next electricity bill. It doesn’t take much effort to make a big difference. Remember, small changes, big impacts, lower utility bills!
For more information on Energy Efficiency, visit our Energy Saving Page or call us at (517) 279-9531.