Garbage, Recycling & Brush Collection
Free Residential Large Item Pickup for Garbage Customers
- Residents that pay for refuse service can call 517-279-9531 to schedule pick up of one bulk item per household per week.
- Call in requests for one bulk item pickup must be submitted by Thursday at 3:00pm in order to be scheduled for the following Monday.
- Online request form must be submitted by Thursday at 3:00pm to be scheduled for the following Monday.
To fill out a Large Item Pickup form click here.
- Pickup of the bulk item will be on Monday and item must be to the curbside by 6am.
Recycling Pickup Day is Monday
To ensure your garbage or recycling totes are picked up on its scheduled route date, follow these simple steps:
- All residential trash should be bagged - recyclable material should not be bagged
- Have your toters out by 6 a.m. the day of your scheduled pickup
- Nothing outside the recycling toter will be picked up
- Only acceptable recyclable materials (PDF) should be placed in the recycle toter
- Toter lids must be fully closed to avoid spilling garbage
- Toters should be 3 feet from any obstruction with handles facing the home
Freon based appliances must be tagged by an approved Freon removal technician. Appliances may be picked up by the DMS for a fee, you may contact a local scrap yard for disposal or check out the Appliance Rebate Program offered by the CBPU!
Brush Collection & Compost Site
Brush collection (PDF) starts on the first Monday of the month April through October. Brush needs to be out before Monday morning, but no sooner than the Friday before. Brush must be placed on the curb on the first Monday of the month, but it may be several days after before the city gets to your location. Once we go by your house, your brush will not be picked up until next month. If the first Monday is a holiday, the collection will begin on Tuesday.
No root systems are allowed and the brush is to be 8 inches or less in diameter. Place in the curb lawn area with ends facing the same direction.
All yard waste must be placed in paper bags. No plastic bags will be accepted. Grass, leaves and yard waste must not be placed on the street. Do not place brush around trees, sign posts or power poles.
You may also drop off brush and bagged yard waste Monday through Friday from 8am-4:00pm or Saturday 9am-2pm at the Compost Site (PDF) located at 45 Industrial Avenue.
During the fall leaf pickup season, leaves may be placed in the roadway in most areas, excluding Marshall Street, Division Street and East and West Chicago Street. This is the only time anything is allowed to be placed in the roadway. Check the City's website or local media for dates of these pickups.
This service is not intended to replace private contracting of tree and brush removal. The contractor is responsible for the removal of the brush limbs or other material resulting from tree trimming or pruning.