Customer Care Programs

Customer Care Programs

Customer Care Programs

The Coldwater Board of Public Utilities provides a number of customer care programs in an effort to support all of our customers. We don't want your circumstances to get in the way of keeping your services turned on. Take a look below at the various programs below that are here to help you in any way you need.

Multiple images of caring, helpful people

General Assistance

If you are behind on your CBPU utility bill, please contact our Customer Service Team at (517) 279-9531 to discuss your payment options and avoid service disruptions.

We offer several resources to help customers with their utility bills. We will work with you to find a payment plan to suit your budget, and utility needs best.

Throughout the year, we work with government agencies and community organizations that offer payment assistance to income-qualified residents. We understand the importance of energy in your life and our goal is to keep your services turned on.

Critical Care
Medical Emergency

If you or a member of your household requires home medical equipment or a life-support system, you must provide a signed and completed Medical Certification Form from a physician or medical facility identifying the medical equipment or life-support system certifying an interruption of service is immediately life-threatening. Critical Care re-certification is required on an annual basis.

If you or a member of your household has a medical emergency confirmed by a physician or public health official, you can apply for interruption of service protection for up to 21 days.

You must provide a signed and completed Medical Certification Form confirming service disconnection will aggravate an existing medical condition.

Military Protection Banner
Home Heating Help Banner

If you or your spouse is called to full-time active military duty during a national or state emergency or war, you may apply for shutoff protection for up to 90 days. You may also reapply for extensions of this protection. Call our Customer Service Team for moe information on this protection plan.

Apply for a Home Heating Credit (HHC) for the current tax year to help pay winter heating bills if you meet the listed household income guidelines and exemption. The application and eligibility requirements can be found at or by calling the Michigan Treasury at (517) 636-4486.


Make an impact

A small amount of your change can make a big impact in providing help to vulnerable members of our community. Join our Round-Up program and "round up" your bill to create a positive and lasting impact for a neighboring CBPU customer in need.

Customer service man sitting at a computer, taking a phone call
Two men, leaning on one another, laughing together

Keep us updated

From time to time, we need to get in touch with you. That's why it's important we have the most up-to-date contact information on your account. 

During a power outage, our system works by matching your phone to your account. We need your current number on file for our system to work accurately. 

Please call the CBPU at (517) 279-9531 or email [email protected] to update your account info and to see if you may qualify for senior garbage rates.

Get help, call 2-1-1

Michigan 2-1-1 is a free, confidential phone service that links people with community-based information that can help with utility assistance, rent payments, child and elder care, emergency shelters, job training, counseling, and other services.

To learn more, dial 211 or go online at to get connected and get help.

Man happily taking a phone call